If one of your new year’s resolutions is to be a better / nicer person this year, here’s a blog post you might want to read. Being a better, less selfish person isn’t as hard as you think. Often, it’s the small things that have the biggest impact, and with that in mind, here’s a list of 20 things you can do.
01. ♥ Buy bread and bird seeds and lay them out for birds and small animals to eat. Many animals starve to death in the winter months because they can’t find food, so you might actually save a few lives. Don’t just lay them out near your house, but take a walk in the woods, or in your neighborhood, and sprinkle some along the way.
02. ♥ Bake cookies for the elderly. Many of them rarely get visitors, so your company could brighten their day significantly.
03. ♥ Donate to charity. If you don’t have any money, donate something that you already own. Clothes you no longer want, blankets, old toys. There’s always an orphanage, a cat shelter, a starving child in Africa etc that needs all the stuff you were just going to throw away anyway.
04. ♥ Give to the homeless. While some of the homeless people are scammers and drug addicts, it’s important to keep in mind that this doesn’t apply to all of them. Some are in fact exactly what they claim to be: homeless and broke. If you don’t trust that they’ll spend their money wisely, then buy them something instead. Take them to McDonald’s and pay for their food, or, if you can afford it, pay for a night at a hotel. That way, at least for one night, they have somewhere warm to sleep, a place to shower and freshen up etc.
05. ♥ Pick up litter.
06. ♥ Let someone go in front of you at the checkout.
07. ♥ Give a stranger a compliment.
08. ♥ Offer to pay for someone at the checkout, if you see that they’re putting things back because they can’t afford it.
09. ♥ Buy flowers and hand them out to people.
10. ♥ Sit down and talk to people who seem upset or lonely.
11. ♥ Leave tampons/pads by the sink in public restrooms. You never know who might need them.
12. ♥ Hold open doors for people.
13. ♥ Help an elderly person with their groceries.
14. ♥ Shovel your neighbor’s driveway when it snows.
15. ♥ Babysit for free.
16. ♥ Walk other people’s dogs for free.
17. ♥ Anonymously send flowers or chocolate to a (single) friend/coworker/classmate/teacher on valentines day.
18. ♥ Tip the waiter at the restaurant generously.
19. ♥ Invite someone who has no one else, to spend Christmas with you.
20. ♥ Leave presents «from Santa» on people’s doorsteps on Christmas morning.